Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tame a wild tongue



To strip one of his or her language would be impossible, even if cutting one’s tongue off as a final result. In “How to tame a tongue” Azanduela’s uses statements in her language to emphasize and describe the implied emotions towards punishment of speaking her native tongue. For example “nos quieren poner candados en la boca” meaning we want to put padlocks in their mouths. Or “tenemos que hacerla lucha. Quien esta protegiendo los ranchos de mi gente? Quien esta trantando de cerrar la fusura entre la india y el blanco en nuestra sangre? el chicano, si el chicano que anda como un landron en su propia casa.” We must make it fight. Who is protecting the ranches of my people? Who is trying to close the fusura between India and the white in our blood? The Chicano, if the Chicano that walks like a Landron in your own home. These statements represent Azanduela’s heart for her people and the significance of their language because it identifies who they are. Although there are consequences towards speaking her native tongue, cutting or taming a wild tongue could never be stripped.
Language, culture, and religion are my identity indicators. I am Samoan and I speak my language fluently. My Samoan culture is strongly connected to our culture and tradition. For example, selecting a student unless volunteered to say prayer before class is a tradition. The purpose of this tradition is to bless an individual and their families on a new day for protection. A common quote used within our people relevant to our culture and the example is “Samoa muamua le Atua” meaning Samoa God is first. Although I have discontinued practicing this tradition, I do it on free time. Traditions such as this remind me of the traditions and culture that is significant amongst my people and that I should practice it any way possible as respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment